Building Inspector
Candia Town Offices
74 High Street
Candia, NH 03034

Phone: 603-483-1015

Town Directory & Contacts

Office Hours

  • Monday: 7:00am - 4:00pm
  • Tuesday: 7:00am - 4:00pm
  • Wednesday: 7:00am - 4:00pm
  • Thursday: 7:00am - 3:00pm
  • Friday: CLOSED
  • 4th Tuesday of the month: 7:00am - 8:00pm
  • Inspections
  • Monday - Thursday: Start daily at 12:00 pm
  • The Building Inspector Office will be CLOSED on Monday, May 27, 2024 in observance of Memorial Day.



The mission of the Building Department of the Town of Candia, New Hampshire is to ensure the safety of life and property by performing responsible inspections of buildings and properties and assuring compliance codes and ordinances, adopted by the town, are enforced.

What We Do

  • Review all commercial and residential site, building, demolition, plumbing, mechanical and electrical plans filed with permit applications.
  • Issue building permits.
  • Perform on site inspections of building, demolition, development projects during and upon completion for compliance with approved plans and specifications, and applicable code ordinances, laws and regulations.
  • Review all commercial and residential building, electrical, mechanical, HVAC construction plans.

Regulations and Standards

Current Applicable Codes

  • 2018 International Residential Code for residential one and two family houses and their accessory structures
  • 2018 International Building Code for all other buildings and structures
  • 2018 International Plumbing Code as adopted by the New Hampshire Plumbing Board
  • 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
  • NFPA 70: National Electric Code 2020

Climate and Design Criteria for All Structures

  • Ground snow load is 75 psf
  • Wind speed is 95 mph
  • Seismic design category is “C”
  • Weathering is severe
  • Frost line depth is 4 ft
  • Termite damage is slight to moderate
  • Decay is none to slight
  • Winter design temperature is 0 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Flood hazards adopted 2006

Structure Setback Requirements in all Zoning Districts

  • Front lot line to structure is 50 feet (a front lot line is any lot line that abuts a street)
  • Side lot line setback to structure is 25 feet
  • Rear lot line setback to structure is 25 feet
  • Structure setback to poorly drained soils 50 feet
  • Structure setback to very poorly drained soils (including ponds and flowing streams) 100 feet

Frequently Asked Questions

What do you need to get a building permit for?

  • Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by these codes.
  • A swimming pool requires a building permit – a swimming pool is defined as “Any structure intended for swimming or recreational bathing that contains water over 24 inches deep. This includes in-ground, aboveground and on-ground pools, hot tubs and spas.”
  • All utility garden storage sheds require a building permit, no matter the size or construction material.
  • Reroofing and residing of a building or accessory structure does require a building permit.
  • Gas piping – the installation or addition to gas piping.
  • New or replacement furnaces whether gas or oil requires a fire department permit.
  • Septic system repairs and replacements both In-Kind and new designs require local building permits. Test pits are not observed by the local inspector.

What work is exempt from requiring a building permit?

  • Fences
  • Sidewalks and paving or repaving a driveway.
  • Retaining walls not over 4 feet high.
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, replacing countertops and similar finish work.
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a one or two family house.
  • Minor electric repairs and maintenance including replacement of lamps or the connection of approved electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.
  • Minor plumbing repairs and maintenance including stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipes; provided, however that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work will be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in the code. The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves, or fixtures and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.

Emergency Repairs

Where equipment replacements and repairs must be performed in an emergency situation, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day.

Sign Up for Candia Alerts

Receive emergency notifications instantly. Sign up for Candia Alerts now.

Candia Alerts

Contact Us

  Phone: 603-483-8101


  Town Directory

  Contact Form

PDF Reader

empty Some files on this site require a PDF reader. Download the latest Adobe Reader.

Sign In